We have raised the handicap of the Trudeau 12 Metre to 0.76 up from 0.69.
This is due to a number of exploits being used by more sailors and thus the overall times of the boat rising quite dramatically. On the North Sea Olympic course, the average time for the Trudeau 12m 6 months ago was around 18 min, now it is 14 min.
An exploit is usually a design fault that allows the boat to go faster under certain circumstances. They exist in RL sometimes. Is it cheating or not to exploit an exploit, some say yes, but we consider it not cheating, it is a design flaw that has been found to usually increase speed. In SL, cheating is carrying a pocket wind-setter or using an auto trimmer or autopilot of sorts illegally and other things like this..
When an exploit is found, often it is reported to the builder, and most times the builder fixes the problem. In the meantime, we are raising the handicap of the boat to allow for their use.
One sailor I know has stopped sailing the boat due to these exploits being used, another has stopped racing with the boat. It is crazy to see the boom parallel to the boat when running. This is not what the boat was designed for and not in the spirit of racing.
Until these exploits are fixed, they need to be made public, so everyone has the same chance. So we list them here.
- Running with the boom Parallel to the boat and spinnaker up. Increase of around 1 kts.
- When sailing with crew, both skipper and crew hike to the leeward side of the boat. Increase of 2 kts.
- When beating solo, skipper hikes to the center of the boat. Increase in speed.
- When on a reach solo, skipper hikes one position to leeward. Increase in speed.
- When beating, head upwind, then drop to 30° AWA. This results in an increase of speed.